As we approach the beginning of July, let’s take a moment to reflect once again on our goals. Did you achieve your goals for June? Did you have any setbacks that you would like to approach differently this time around? With that said, here are some guidelines to keep in mind as you set your goals for July.
- Specific: Make sure your goal is clear so you have a vision of what you would like to achieve. For example, rather than saying “I want to run faster,” a specific goal would be to “run a 7 minute mile.” Or rather than saying, “I want to lose weight,” say “I would like to lose two pounds of body-fat.”
- Measurable: Again, “running faster” is not enough. By saying “running a 7 minute mile” you have something to measure your progress against. Looking to lose fat or gain lean muscle? Schedule body composition readings so that you can accurately measure your progress.
- Achievable: When setting goals, it is always admirable to shoot for the stars, but if your goal is not realistic, it is easy to get discouraged. Likewise, a goal that is not challenging enough, is not motivating. Using the running example above, say you currently run a 15 minute mile. Is it more realistic to progress to running a 7 or 13 minute mile in only 1 month? When you work towards achievable goals, you are more likely to stay motivated month to month than if you miss your goal by a long-shot and get discouraged.
- Relevant: When you set your goals, be sure it is a goal that is relevant to you and your life. What is motivating to you in your life right now? How will achieving this goal improve your life? Your goals should be unique and relevant to you, not anybody else.
- Time-bound: This is important because it allows you to plan a strategy, and create benchmarks in order to ensure you are moving in the right direction as your deadline approaches. When setting your goal for July, think about how you plan to achieve it, and how when you will measure your progress throughout the month.
Setting SMART goals is essential for staying motivated, and setting an action plan to reach your long term goals. Take a moment to reflect, set your goals for July, and share them in class on the Goal Wall. And remember, we have plenty of tools available to help you measure, plan or achieve your goals, whether it be meal planning, personal training, customized macros, or InBody readings. Let’s get to work!